Saturday, October 17, 2009

Future Career Plans?

So, guys, I've been attending some amazing lectures this week, and it really has me thinking about what I want to specialize in when I skedaddle off to an amazing grad school. (OK, just feed my imaginary ego, and let's pretend I'll go to an amazing grad school?)Anyway, Dr. Lape once mentioned that I study and work with eroticism and sexuality in lit, which certainly interests me. I mean, have you read any of my papers from last year?! Yeah... Well, one of the lectures that I found fascinating was about the belief and the body in late Medieval literature. It was about how the body was treated and regarded as a physical entity, while also exploring it as a spiritual symbol, as well as looking at Christ's wounded body. It was a fascinating lecture, complete with a great example of the highly sensual Song of Songs from the Bible where theologians and Church officials who can't deal with the complete SEXINESS of it just try to pass it off as a symbol for Christ's spiritual love. But let's be honest--it's hot. Then, there was what should have been a great lecture on Decadent Gothic: Sex, Science, Aestheticism, but ultimately, it was flaccid. I left feeling unfulfilled. So I guess what I'm contemplating is what area I should study? I love the whole Gothic horror side of literature, and I love drama, and the whole representation of the body in lit is so engaging. I'm not sure. I should really get back to my essay before a post-matriculation pub crawl. See ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment